"We use this apple butter to flavor an ice cream. It was an experiment that yielded an amazing surprise, and has become the favorite ice cream of the kitchen staff." -Corey
Yield: 2 Cups
what you need:
Apples, peeled and sliced, 3 qt.
Apple Cider, 12 fl. oz
Sugar, 9 wt. oz.
Cinnamon Stick, ½ ea.
Star Anise Pods, 1 ea.
Ground Cardamom, ½ tsp
Orange Zest, ½ tsp.
Meyer Lemon Zest, 1/2 tsp
Salt, ¼ tsp
how you make it:
1. In a large pot, simmer the apples and cider at medium heat.
2. Reduce the heat to low and cover, stirring occasionally until the apples are soft (30 minutes).
2. Remove the apples from the heat and puree, then place in another sauce pan.
3. Add the sugar, cinnamon, cardamom, orange and meyer lemon zest, star anise, and the salt and simmer for about 2 hours until brown.
4. Place the apple butter in sterilized canning jars and heat process or water process.