Shrimp = Cavolo Nero + Cannellini + Pancetta / Ribollita
what you need:
dried cannellini beans, 1 lb. ( red field peas are also a good choice)
extra virgin olive oil, 2 Tbs.
white onions or leeks (white part only), diced, 1 each
pancetta, diced, 4 oz.celery stalk, diced, 1 each
carrot, diced, 1 each
plum tomatoes, chopped, 2 cup
savoy cabbage, chopped, 1 each
cavolo nero (black kale), chopped, 1 bunch
basil, chopped, 1 Tbs.
parsley, flat leaf, chopped, 1 Tbs.
rustic country bread, 1 loaf
kosher salt, to taste
black pepper, ground, to taste
high quality extra virgin olive oil, to finish, 2 oz.
head on shrimp, split, 12 each
how you make it:
1. Soak the cannellini beans in cool water over night (at least 12 hours).
2. Drain the beans.
3. Cook the beans in water over medium high heat until tender.
4. Drain the beans (reserving the liquid), and puree half of them.
5. Add the pureed beans back to the liquid.
6. In a separate pot, heat the olive oil and saute the onions and pancetta.
7. Add the celery and carrots and sweat until tender.
8. Add the cavolo nero and the savoy cabbage and saute briefly.
9. Add the bean/water mixture and cook at a low simmer for 1 hour.
10. Season with salt and pepper.
11. Rub the shrimp and the bread with a little olive oil and grill.
12. To serve, put a slice of the grilled bread in a bowl and pour the soup over the bread.
13. Serve the grilled shrimp over the soup with a small amount of high quality extra virgin olive oil and the chopped herbs as garnish.