sausage = cotechino + lentils + mustard
sausage = linquica
sausage = merguez
sausage = andouille
sausage = braunschweiger
sausage = boudin blanc
rillette = pheasant
rillette = trout + apple cider + mustard seed
pate = chicken liver
pate = venison
cheeks = veal + pinot + onion + bacon / braise
bones = marrow + parsley + lemon / roast
short rib = beef + rioja
what you need:
beef ribs, bone on, 10 lbs.
vegetable oil, 5 oz.
mirepoix, med. dice, 3/4 lbs.
garlic, mashed, 3 cloves
tomato paste, 3 oz.
rioja wine, 1 1/2 cups
veal stock, 1/2 gallon
bay leaves, 2 each
thyme, fresh, 1 Tbsp
parsley stems, 1/4 bunch
black peppercorns, crushed, 1/4 Tbsp
how you make it:
1. Season the short ribs with salt and pepper.
2. Sear the ribs in the oil in a hot roasting pan or rondeau until golden brown. Note: Do not overcrowd the pan or the beef will not brown.
3. Remove the ribs and add the mirepoix and cook until caramelized. Add the garlic. Add the tomato paste and roast in the oven until it turns a rusty brown color but is not burned.
4. Deglaze the pan with the Rioja wine. Add the aromatics and the veal stock. Cover the pan tightly with foil and braise the ribs at 325 degrees until tender.
5. Remove the ribs from the oven, reduce the sauce, and serve over mashed potatoes or polenta.
note from corey: "We braise these short ribs with an old vine Rioja from Spain, leaving us with a very rich and hearty winter dish. I've also had much success with a Reserve Granache from Ramian Estates in Napa Valley."
Get More Recipes Here
- Barista = Brewed Beverages of the Non-Alcoholic Variety
- Brain Drain = Thoughts + Views + Opinions + Ramblings
- Charcuterie = Sausage + Bacon + Ham + Salumi + Pate + Terrine + Confit
- Daybreak = Breakfast + Granola + Smoothie
- Fishmonger = Shellfish + Crustacean + Fish
- Food Photos
- Granary = Pasta + Grain + Rice
- Harvest = Roots + Fruits + Dressings
- Hasty Pudding = Pastry + Baking
- Hennery = Poultry + Fowl + Gamebird
- Nose to Tail = Beef + Pork + Game + Cuts the Butcher Keeps for Himself
- Saucier = Stocks + Soups + Sauces
- Snacks = Small Meals + Appetizers
- Soda Jerk = Beverages of the Non-Alcoholic Variety
- Videos = Informational + Instructional
- Whiskey Bar = Cocktails of an Alcoholic Variety